Print

Hi Marilynne,

Thanks for sharing this great information, however I have a question about
point  #3 in the "links" section of the basics page. If I'm understanding
this corectly, the information you provide seems to contradict information
given by the National Federation for the Blind, which says that carriage
returns do not separate links, but that "blank characters" do.

Can anyone provide a definitive answer? And is a keyboard space in the HTML
file considered a "blank character", or does one need to use " "?

From the Penn State site:
3. Make the clickable text obvious. Separate links with text or a graphic.
Place a line break between multiple links that appear next to one another.
If items are not separated, some access technology might recognize them as
a single link.

For example:
Home  Contact Us

A screen reader would be read this as one item "Home Contact Us." This can
confuse users. They will not know how many links are present or where one
link stops and the next begins. To correct this, place a separator like "|"
between the links so that the user can detect individual links.
From the National Federation for the Blind website
<http://www.nfb.org/webacc.htm> :

If two adjacent links are separated only by a carriage return, some screen
access programs will incorrectly treat these as a single link and thereby
provide the blind user with bad information. Try to place something other
than a carriage return between adjacent links. Blank characters, images, or
bullets are fine; just don't place them next to a carriage return.

Thanks,
Anna Carts
Web Developer