Keeping in mind that the speed at which a page loads is dependent on the size of the page, which is known, the speed of the server and the user's connection speed, what is an effective way to judge acceptable upper limits for pageload speed?

We're concerned about our servers getting bogged down when we get hit with a lot of traffic, but I can't figure a good way to determine an average to judge it against. I've found lots of literature on acceptable ranges for the K size of pages, but I haven't found much on the server speed/load side of it or how to make a judgment on this regardless of the user's connection speed.

Send responses to me and I'll summarize them.

Marci Cohen
User Experience Analyst
RollingStone.com
312.642.7560 x136