Print

If you are like me, you love hearing what people say about us behind our
backs.

The sender is someone I've known for a really long time....we literally met
in boot camp back in the old days when there were two superpowers.  I won't
give dates because then I would look old, and my fragile ego won't accept
that.

He and I both went down the networking path, then I branched off into what I
do now, and he's involved in development as some sort of software engineer.
Enough background, check out what he has to say about a recent engagement
with someone from our community:

>We just got through going through a company called _______ who did a
>usability study on our web interface.  We all joked about how it must be
>nice to fly all over,  badmouth people's work, then charge huge fees for
>it.

>What's even funnier is that their final recommendation was hardly different
>from our original product, even though their so-called expert made our
>existing interface out to be the worst thing in the world.  He even told us
>that old terminal screens would be easier to use (yeah right!)  I guess he
>had to make us feel like we needed him.

>How did you land a gig like that?  The Human Factors guy's background
>wasn't even technical, but rather, he had a Doctorate in some social
>science.

I have read this maybe 50 times, and it still makes me laugh out loud,
especially the last comment.  I bet we'd be more effective if we did a
better job of communicating our value....speaking their language or
something.