Print

Summary of my question about designing web-based apps:

Compensating for lack of keyboard accelerators

Not a lot of wisdom on this one. The most common suggestion was to
use newer versions of browsers, which allow keyboard shortcuts.

Specific advice:

* Give advanced users ways of completing tasks in fewer steps.
* Use current browsers, which offer widgets and navigational options
that can help.
* Keyboard accelerators are available in some recent browsers -- NS6,
IE6, and Mozilla-based browsers.

--------------

Thanks to all who contributed:
David Koosis, Adam Korman, Jeff Lash, Hal Shubin, Bob Baxley, Kevin,
Kristen Truong, Ethan McKinney, Ken Mohnkern, Sahala Swenson, Karin
Lane, Juan Lanus, Marc Robichaud

--------------

ORIGINAL POST:

Does anyone know of UI guidelines for designing complex browser-based
applications, with functionality akin to that in a native Windows
app?

I'm running across some problems that I figure other people *must*
have solved before. Stuff like:

* What are the best methods for accommodating beginning and advanced
users? Are there web-specific strategies that are different than
those for Windows apps?
* How does one get by without modal dialog boxes? How do you keep
users from drifting away in the midst of a multi-step task?
* What navigational strategies work best for extremely long lists?
* How to compensate for the lack of keyboard accelerators?

... and I'm sure there are hosts of other problems I'm not even aware
of yet.

http://mailplus.yahoo.com