Print

I received so many great responses to my question about web-based
applications, I'm going to break my summary down into several
messages.

There seems to be general agreement that the browser-based apps are a
challenge to design, and that there aren't a lot of resources out
there to help. Here are a few resouces people did recommend:

ONLINE GUIDES AND ARTICLES

SAP's online "Design Guild":
http://sapdesignguild.org/resources/resources.asp

...especially the web examples:
http://www.sapdesignguild.org/resources/webapp_cookbook/index.html

Microsoft Inductive User Interface Guidelines:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwui/html/iuiguidelines.asp

Article: "Introducing Interaction Design" by Bob Baxley, on Boxes and
Arrows:
http://www.boxesandarrows.com/archives/introducing_interaction_design.php

Article: "Navigation in Web Applications," by Hal Shubin
http://www.user.com/webapps/webapps.htm

BOOKS

Making the Web Work, Designing Effective Web Applications, by Bob
Baxley

Microsoft Windows User Experience. (Not exclusively about web
application design, but contains a lot of relevant material.)

EXAMPLES OF WEB-BASED APPLICATIONS
http://mail.yahoo.com
http://calendar.yahoo.com
http://www.bcentral.com/products/
http://www.peoplesoft.com

--------------

Thanks to all who contributed:
David Koosis, Adam Korman, Jeff Lash, Hal Shubin, Bob Baxley, Kevin,
Kristen Truong, Ethan McKinney, Ken Mohnkern, Sahala Swenson, Karin
Lane, Juan Lanus, Marc Robichaud

--------------

ORIGINAL POST:

Does anyone know of UI guidelines for designing complex browser-based
applications, with functionality akin to that in a native Windows
app?

I'm running across some problems that I figure other people *must*
have solved before. Stuff like:

* What are the best methods for accommodating beginning and advanced
users? Are there web-specific strategies that are different than
those for Windows apps?
* How does one get by without modal dialog boxes? How do you keep
users from drifting away in the midst of a multi-step task?
* What navigational strategies work best for extremely long lists?
* How to compensate for the lack of keyboard accelerators?

... and I'm sure there are hosts of other problems I'm not even aware
of yet.

http://mailplus.yahoo.com