bacm-announce@ACM.ORG

Show Table of Contents

Craig Holcomb
Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:56:57 -0400
BACM Members and Guests

The Baltimore ACM is jointly meeting with the IEEE COMSEC
(Communications Society). The meeting is on September 11th, at 5 pm.
Please resigter at
https://meetings.vtools.ieee.org/meeting_view/list_meeting/12953, and see
more information on the abstract, and the bio.

Please consider inviting students, high school, middle school and
elementary students, for computer security, Defense Against the Dark Arks.

[More ...]
No Replies
Craig Holcomb
Tue, 29 May 2012 10:16:00 -0400
BACM Members and Guests,

The Baltimore ACM Chapter invites you to join us for our third annual Flash
Talks on Computing, in conjunction with the Annual General Meeting
of the Chapter.

The program will consist of up to twelve, five-minute flash talks
on various topics related to computing.

When: Tuesday, June 19th, 7:00 PM

Where: The Engineering Society of Baltimore
11 W. Mount Vernon Place
Baltimore, MD 21201
http://www.esb.org/

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Emil Volcheck
Sun, 4 Mar 2012 17:52:37 -0500
The Baltimore ACM Chapter invites you to attend the following lecture

"Apache Accumulo: Extensions to Google's Bigtable Design"

When: 5:00 pm, Thursday, March 29
Where: Murphy Fine Arts Hall, Morgan State University

Speaker: Adam Fuchs, National Security Agency

Abstract:

Keeping up with new mission needs requires a highly adaptive
infrastructure to support hundreds of distinct analysis applications
and data, while supporting rapid, decentralized development of new
applications and new data types. In support of these requirements the
NSA Computer and Information Sciences Research Group is using open
source data cloud computing components, as well as contributing back
one of its

[More ...]
No Replies
Craig Holcomb
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 19:50:11 -0400
Baltimore ACM Members and Friends,

With the news filled with reports of hacking, and your bank’s notification
that your credit card is being used illegally, the importance of cyber
security is well recognized. In the field of cyber security, a “fortress”
mentality is no longer enough. Since most security attacks arise from
software vulnerabilities, secure programming is essential to secure
systems. While secure programming is a critical piece of cyber security, it
is often treated as the poor stepchild. The Baltimore ACM Chapter invites
you to join us for an informative afternoon symposium on Securing Our
Future, which will adress

[More ...]
No Replies
Craig Holcomb
Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:48:04 -0400
Everyone,

It's just a week away, don't forget to sign up to attend the
flash talks at our annual meeting.

Thanks,
Craig Holcomb, Chair BACM

On Tuesday, May 31, 2011, Craig Holcomb <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Second Annual Flash Talks on Computing
> at BACM Annual Meeting, June 22, 2011
>
> The Baltimore ACM Chapter invites you to join us for our 2nd annual Flash Talks on Computing, in conjunction with the Annual General Meeting of the Chapter, http://bacm.us/content/2011/05/flash-talks-computing-annual-meeting-june-22-2011. The program will consist of up to twelve, five-minute flash talks on various topics related to computing.  Please continue to visit the

[More ...]
No Replies
Craig Holcomb
Tue, 31 May 2011 11:23:28 -0400
Second Annual Flash Talks on Computing
at BACM Annual Meeting, June 22, 2011

The Baltimore ACM Chapter invites you to join us for our 2nd annual Flash
Talks on Computing, in conjunction with the Annual General Meeting of the
Chapter,
http://bacm.us/content/2011/05/flash-talks-computing-annual-meeting-june-22-2011.
The program will consist of up to twelve, five-minute flash talks on various
topics related to computing. Please continue to visit the link above to
get the latest news on the speakers and their topics.

[More ...]
No Replies
Craig Holcomb
Mon, 25 Apr 2011 13:05:16 -0400
Everyone,

This is just a reminder about this Wednesday's talk; tour at 5:30pm,
dinner at 6:30pm and talk at 7:00 pm. If you haven't already, please RSVP
to Emil Volcheck at [log in to unmask] The tour and dinner are optional, but
encouraged.

Since our original message, we have been able to schedule a tour of
the Emerging Technology Center which will begin at 5:30 pm, led by Fulya
Gursel. The tour will also stop at the
Beehive<http://www.beehivebaltimore.org/>,
a community of freelancers, engrepreneurs, and creative professionals
working in a spirit of collaboration, and at SmartLogic
Solutions<http://smartlogicsolutions.com/>,
a technology consulting and custom application development

[More ...]
No Replies
Emil Volcheck
Thu, 7 Apr 2011 00:40:15 -0400
The Baltimore ACM Chapter, the Greater Baltimore Technology Council,
and the Emerging Technology Center invite you to attend a lecture on
entrepreneurship.

When: 7:00 pm, Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Where: Emerging Technology Center (ETC @ Canton)
2400 Boston St.

Title: Entrepreneurship
by David Turock

David Turock will present a side-by-side comparison of two
telecommunications start-ups that he launched: one successful, and one
not. He compares and contrasts their funding sources, agility and
scalability of their business models, hiring practices, and more. His
experience and lessons learned will be valuable for aspiring tech
entrepreneurs. He finishes with how his interests

[More ...]
No Replies
Roy Albin
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 22:46:28 -0500
All-
The following is a notice about a dinner and meeting occuring this week ( Thursday 2/17) that is being put on by the Baltimore Chapter of AITP.

Like ACM, AITP has a long history of serving the needs of IT Professionals. The Baltimore Chapter of AITP prides itself in hosting good informative meetings at good quality local restaurants.

[More ...]
No Replies
Roy Albin
Sun, 13 Feb 2011 23:20:55 -0500
Baltimore ACM and Johns Hopkins Student ACM chapter are pleased to present a panel discussion on IT Certifications

Date: 3/3 at 7:00 PM (Pizza will be provided at 6:30)

Location: Johns Hopkins University Homewood Campus - Shaffer Hall Room 3

RSVP: [log in to unmask]

Some federal agencies and companies are now requiring that IT candidates be certified in their discipline. Many companies and agencies that do not require certifications are now recognizing the value of a certified candidate. A certified candidate is demonstrating 2 things:

[More ...]
No Replies
Roy Albin
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:43:34 -0500
Just a reminder. We are one week out from our first talk of the year. Response has been good but we hope there is time in your schedule and you can join us!!!!

Sincerely

The BACM Officers