From:
"Roepe, Marsha S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:03:55 -0500
I've been reading this discussion of managers vs engineers for this Y2K
issue and I just have to toss one in. It isn't just computers that are
affected by this.  We as a culture have been using the last two digits for
decades.  The funeral home industry has a lot of  tombstones pre-carved with
"19__".  Unless there is going to be a repeat of the 1918 influenza, they
have an inventory problem. : )  And how many of us in Team Ada own checks
that have "19__" in the upper right hand corner?  There are memo pads and
forms around everywhere with "19__".

The only person that thought early about 2000 was "the artist that used to
call himself Prince"!   Oh, and Robert Heinlein, who wrote about it during
the 70's in one of his science fiction stories.  As I recall, the hero made
his millions by creating a device that solved this problem.  And am I the
only one who remembers programming 99 or 9999 or 999999 as a special trigger
to indicate the eof?  If any of my old coding is floating around still in
AT&T, oh well, party like it's ...  ; )

Marsha S. Roepe
DCMC Lockheed Martin Marietta
770-494-9815