From:
Johnson Phillip E <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 16:29:01 -0500
> I don't know about Linux and Apache, but Netscape is still "proprietary"
> and Mozilla is Open Source, but NOT GPL.

You can download and modify the source code any of the Mozilla software
modules.
Both the Netscape Public License (NPL) and the Mozilla Public License (MPL)
are less restrictive than the GPL.  If you do not want your source code open
you only have to provide an API to the functionality.  So you are correct,
it is not GPL.  It is IMHO better.

> (In fact, Mozilla is Netscape's way of getting unpaid help developing
their
> proprietary version!)

In fact, Netscape as well as the rest of us benefit.  In fact there has been
little public contribution to the Mozilla project.  This is the reason there
was such a long lag time in getting NN 6.0 out.

The code base for Netscape Communicator 6 is in fact from Mozilla.  There a
number of other companies and groups that have used the Gecko engine as the
rendering engine for their products.  There are several groups that have
embedded the JavaScript 1.5 into their products because the source is open.
You can chooses from either the C or Java version.  I have considered
writing an Ada version.

Philip Johnson
Ceilidh Systems, Inc.