From:
Richard Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 05:27:34 -0400
Hi, Everyone,

I've completed my user's report on the Pocket PC, which includes about 30
screen snapshots and other photos, to illustrate what this platform is like.
While some people have mentioned looking into Ada interfaces to Windows CE
2,
the Pocket PC is based on Windows CE 3, and the story is quite different.
Among other things, Windows CE 3
  1. runs on multiple CPUs
  2. contains built-in support for the selected languages
  3. is moving to executables in CEF (Common Executable Format), so only one
     compiler is needed for all targets (reminds one of a virtual machine,
eh?)

From the writeup I sent out to Lockheed:

> The Pocket PC, a mobile computer small enough to *almost* fit in a shirt
> pocket and powerful enough to run programs you would normally run on a
> Desktop PC, is rapidly coming of age.  From the Microsoft Pocket PC
website:

> "The Windows powered Pocket PC brings you all the best of your desktop PC
> in a form factor that fits in the palm of your hand!
>
> "With Pocket Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, and pocket versions
> of your favorite business applications, the Pocket PC gives you what no
> other organizer can: true portable computing power. "
>
> "Launched" in April, the Pocket PC is already entering what could be
> considered to be its "second generation."  For your information, I
> offer the following user's report
> on the Pocket PC from the perspective of both a user and a programmer:

See my website at KSU for the full report and my other public materials on
these technologies --
  http://unicoi.kennesaw.edu/~rconn/

The "User's Report on the Pocket PC" is at --
  http://unicoi.kennesaw.edu/~rconn/pocket_pc/index.htm

This is definitely a platform on which Ada should have a presence.

Enjoy the report(s),
Rick
Richard Conn, Principal Investigator
Reuse Tapestry