From:
"Crispen, Bob" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 07:36:17 -0500
Philip Johnson[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] sez:

> >      I am considering porting some code from an AIX (UNIX) environment
> to a PC.
> >      The code would run in an MSDOS window under NT.  Part of the code
> is
> >      written using Korn Shells and other parts are Ada, with some
> Fortran thrown
> >      in to make it interesting.  If anyone has any suggestions for
> software that
> >      will execute Korn Shells in a PC environment I would like to
> here about it.
>
> MKS produces a full Unix toolset for Windows NT [I suspect Win95
> also] that contains a fairly complete Unix utility toolbox; Korn shell,
> Awk, Sed, tar, cpio, etc.

There's good old Cygnus cygwin32, if you can
stand bash instead of ksh.  There may be a port
of ksh for cygwin.  Can't tell you for sure.  Unlike
MKS, cygwin32 is free.  And at one time unlike
MKS, cygwin32 is entirely 32-bit.  I think MKS
is now all 32-bit, though it's worth checking.

Cygwin has just about all the gnu libc extensions
(they have bsearch and qsort, for example, and
all the extra string stuff, but in the release I'm
using their regexp stuff doesn't match either the
gnu helpfile or the OSF regexp manpages, and
I finally concluded -- perhaps incorrectly -- that
it wasn't all working yet).

Very reliable, mingw32 and egcs are rolled in
(gcc -mno-cygwin will remove all dependencies on
cygwin.dll) and there's good win32 support -- I
believe it can now compile all the examples in
Petzold -- and the tools include sed, tar, bison,
and all the usual things.  Can't remember whether
it's got nawk or just awk.

I've only found one bug in the shell tools: I use
the old PC Magazine "color" to make my shell
windows black on grey instead of white on
black (which I can't read), and the cygwin "less"
sometimes misbehaves and reverses the color.
It might be that I just haven't got my termcap
entry right yet.  Everything else works exactly
the way I'm used to from various Unix systems.

Bob Crispen