From:
"Beard, Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:09:59 -0400
Rush wrote:

> God help the Navy when it's enemies discover that they can attach
> a VBA or Active-X agent to a datastream and infect the entire system
> with some sort of virus.

Rush,

While I agree with the sentiment, it won't be quite that easy.  Unless
the Navy diverts from using either KG krypto or NES encryption, the
enemy will have to penetrate one of the two before they can attach
the virus.  While I'm not a huge Microsoft fan, they do have some
useful tools, virus prone as they may be.  Since both encryption
methods are "heavy duty" and rotate keys frequently, you can
basically use just about anything behind them.  Of course it
never hurts to have something less vulnerable.

It will also be interesting to see what happens when Microsoft
comes out with Navy 1.0 and tries to replace the Navy with
it's own products.  Or maybe DoD 1.0.  Maybe that's how he
plans combat the court ruling to split the company.  Military force!

Frank