From:
Corey Minyard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 23:21:50 -0500
Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> [said Corey]
> >
> > I would love to work on something like this.  Unfortunately, my job
> > prevents me from doing this.  I'm sure lots of people are in the same
> > boat.
>
> See below. Does it _really_ prevent you? Have you signed a "no moonlighting"
> clause in your contract?

Not really, but my job does prevent me from spending a substantual
amount of time working on free software.  For someone to coordinate an
effort like that, it takes lots of time and it takes some committment
from the employer.  For me, at least, doing it while moonlighting is
not an option.  Although I am working on a free containers package.

Also, I am having to switch to C++.  If so, I'll probably have to give
up Ada (and not think about it while designing with C++) to keep
myself sane.

> > What we need is somebody like Linus Torvalds to head the thing up.
> > Unless we have the right person at the helm, we will just bicker among
> > ourselves.  We the right chief architect and initial seed.  If you
> > haven't read "The Cathedral Verses the Bazaar", it's worth reading.
>
> I agree that having someone like Linus would help, but OTOH my impression
> of the Linux (and DJGPP) community is that a lot of the key package
> development work is done by people whose "day jobs" are different from
> their Free Software development work, which they do on their own time
> just 'cause they love this stuff.

I don't disagree with this.  I am a contributor to Linux.  However,
getting someone to run something like this takes someone with a chunk
free time on their hands.  That's not me.

And I believe that having a reasonable person heading it up (someone
without a big ego, willing to take advice, able to see the good work
of others, etc.) is critical.  Most of the job of someone like that is
making sure the people doing the work stay motivated by treating them
right.  That should be real manager's jobs, but that's another story
:-(.

--
Corey Minyard               Internet:  [log in to unmask]
  Work: [log in to unmask]       UUCP:  [log in to unmask]