Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:45:33 -0500
> <form METHOD= "post" ACTION="file://C|\Ada_Work\html_small_read.exe" >
> did not work. ....
I did not try a FORM, but here's what I did:
1. I refuse to touch a Microsoft program if there's a reasonable
alternative, so I used Netscape 4.5, not Internet Explorer.
2. I tried to run a program "sp.exe" that already existed on a floppy but
Netscape just asked me where I wanted to save it.
3. I tried to find the helper pref for .exe (to change "save" to "run") and
there was none. I tried to create one and it insisted that .exe was
already defined for another helper. (!)
4. Several other things that didn't work.
5. Noticing that the prefs for "MS-DOS application" were set to actually
run the app, I made a copy of the program and renamed it "sp.com"
Voila! selecting it with the "Open Page" widget popped up a DOS window
running the program.
6. I did the same with a .txt file (to get it in the browser window so
that I could check the URL).
7. Using the text URL as a guide, I killed Netscape, opened an HTML file
ON A UNIX BOX, and added
Note the THREE slashes after the colon.
8. Fire up Netscape again, call up the page via http://host/etc..., click
the xxx and (drumroll) DOS window pops up with the program running.
I don't have time today to try this with a FORM and an Ada prog, but maybe
someone else will pick up where I left off.