From:
David Botton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:26:33 -0700
--- Al Christians <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> "Kester, Rush W." wrote:

> Even with good, easy GUI's, for
> much of my work the
> commercial development products for Windows (I'm
> using Delphi quite
> a bit now) are still ahead because of:   1)
> data-aware controls, 2)
> report writers, 3) printer support that is good
> enough to ship to end
> users using printers that I don't have here, 4)
> other reasonably good
> 3rd party components.  For applications that don't
> require all that,
> Ada is wonderful.

Ada is wonderful even for applications that require 1,
2, 3, and 4. There is no reason you can not use
Crystal Reports with Ada as done in VB (either through
COM or the DLL interface), covering 2 and 3, and use
COM with ADO combined with any of the current GUIs for
Ada, covering 1. As you can see number 4 is easily
covered by using COM with Ada.

In another month or two (around the same time as the
public release of GNATCOM from ACT), I'll put out my
windows framework with built in support for ADO and
you will truly have 1, but there is no reason current
frameworks could not be extended to do the same
easily.

David Botton

http://invites.yahoo.com