From:
Pascal Obry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pascal Obry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 18:42:58 +0200
Terry Westley writes:
 > Why not implement your template-based system as an add-on to
 > Apache rather than as a full web-server?

I'm not sure to follow you here. AWS and the Templates Parser system are just
2 differents beast. They can be used together but I just do not understand
what I will gain by use Apache !!!!

AWS is a complete framework to build Web Services. From a technical point of
view it is an embeded-http components. This make it easy to distribute Web
base services as a binary which does not require installing a full Web server
for example... With AWS you can do far more than that... You just do not have
CGI, which are rather slow and a common security hole.

 > With the current design, I'd have to run Apache on port 80
 > and AWS on another port to get full-blown web server functionality.

I don't think it makes sense to have the templates parser as an Apache
add-on. A templates HTML page must be filed by something. You have to run some
piece of code to create an HTML page from the template...

The template parser is not like PHP or ASP, if it is what you have in
mind. The model is that design (actual HTML layout) and code are completly
separated. There is no active templates ala PHP, ASP.

Hope it is clear ?

For more information please look at the templates parser documentation on my
homepage. It is in english, well at least it was my intention :)

Does that answer your question ?

Pascal.

--|