Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:50:48 +0000
>In my last post, I referred to a program called Samba. Samba is an open source
>software application that provides seamless file and print services to SMB/CIFS
>clients.

In case this still doesn't make it crystal clear, at least one purpose of Samba
is to allow Microsoft Windows NT (and probably 95/98/2000 - and 3.1 if you
download the SMB client from somewhere) to use and share remote drives on Unix
boxes without having to invest in an NFS client.

It's been a while since I used Samba so I can't remember much else that it can
do, but last month's PCPlus (UK magazine) had O'Reilly's electronic version of
"Samba in a Nutshell" on its cover-DVD.

Actually, one of the other things it can do is provide the functionality of the
NT "net send" command on Unix (I know Unix has much better facilities, but "net
send" is really quite useful sometimes :-)

John