Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 16:49:16 -0800
From:
"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
To: Jerry van Dijk & Wesley Groleau et al.
From: Bob Leif, Ph.D.

Although I actually to a large extent agree with Jerry on
"But having a process means you can find them, take corrective measures and
see if your measures worked. (Demming: Plan, Do, Check, Act)."

"Without a process, there is no way to influence the quality level. With a
well defined and well embedded process you will not make the same mistake
twice. Therefor the CMM process influences both cost and quality."

Westley Groves wrote, "You believe that and I believe that.  Nevertheless,
what Bob Leif said is that he has not seen any data _proving_ that.  Nor
have I."

This is an absolutely correct restatement of my views.

I have even published on software processes for medical devices. My
conclusions were never invent your own process and use Ada. However, my
question did not concern the value of having a process, it was directed to
evaluating the utility of a process or tool. If one wants to be flippant, it
is a metaprocess. The process of determining the utility of a process.

Fortunately, our universe is restricted to software development.
Unfortunately, I do NOT believe that a true double blind crossover study is
even conceivable. This would require the same project being developed in
both Ada an another language. However, I believe that it is impossible
because there is no straight-forward way to organize an experiment where
neither the monitor (teacher) nor the student (user) know which programming
language they are using.