Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:27:31 -0700
From:
Hal Hart <[log in to unmask]>
ALEX:  My boss forwarded me the email inquiring about Ada on
your behalf, and I/we can help in several ways:

(1) I am cc'g an email discussion group called "Team Ada"
from whom you will get several more helpful advocacy
messages.  We are several hundred Ada fans all over the
world, engaged in all sorts of software endeavors, both
inside and outside the Government/military contracting
environment.

(2) Reply to just me ([log in to unmask]) and I will send you
for free a 3-disc CD set, a commercial product from Walnut
Creek on Ada & Software Engineering.  Uncompressed, this
contains over 10G of Ada compilers (including the free
copy-lefted Gnu Ada Translator, GNAT) & other tools,
hyperlinked language reference manuals & rational,
interactive tutorials, over 60 sets of courseware on many
software engineering topics, lots of Ada & software
engineering technical reports (e.g., from CMU's Software
Engineering Institute, SEI), Ada bindings, Ada Success
Stories, etc. etc. etc.  The CD (and most of the tools on
it) run on every common computer platform.

(3) Rick Conn at Lockheed, included on cc, is the
"architect" of the Ada/ASE CD and also the Public Ada
Library (PAL) hosted at Washington University in St. Louis
and is involved in several state-of-the-art Ada and software
engineering initiatives.  I'm sure Rick will reply and tell
you more.

I visited your home page and it's pretty neat.  I presume
you have heard that the vast majority of all modern aircraft
avionics systems (commercial and military) worldwide are
programmed in Ada.  You may also know that Ada is almost the
programming language of choice now for other real-time, high
reliability systems such as many high speed ground
transportation systems, and Ada is making inroads for
medical devices and in other domains where reliability is
paramount.  Ada wins when reliability and embedded (often
meaning real-time or near real-time and distributed) are
high priority.  Not a large proportion of the world's total
software, but a great, super important niche to dominate!
And growing (more so in commercial usage than for military
usage) in those domains where these strengths are important.

Here are two websites to visit to provide more info about
Ada and to link to many other Ada-related sites:
   http://www.acm.org/sigada  --  our SIGAda professional
society website
   http://www.adaresource.com  --  an industry association
of Ada suppliers

   -Hal Hart, Past Chair of Association for Computing
Machinery (ACM) Special Interest Group on Ada (SIGAda) &
SIGAda'99 Conference Chair, October 17-21, Redondo Beach,
California, U.S.A. - http://www.acm.org/sigada/conf/sigada99

PS:  Look at our October conference website (url in previous
line above).  Any chance you could skip 3 or 4 days of
school and come sample a professional technical conference?
See "Student Work-Grants" blurb about getting free hotel
lodging by working a couple hours daily on onsite conference
newsletter.  This could be an all-around great education
experience for you.  Sorry, no tutors provided for history,
social studies, etc.  However, there will be Russians there
to help you with the language.  :-)