From:
Stanley Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 01:18:29 -0500
Teamers:

How about an open-source GUI financial caculator written in Ada,
making use of decimal-digits fixed-point arithmetic and picture strings?

I've been looking at some of the free (libre) Linux fin calcs and they
seem to be using double (or worse, float) for all real calculations.
I've been led to believe by some comments in this forum that floating-point
is a poor choice for financial work.

Could it be done better in Ada?  What advantages could be claimed for
such a calculator?  Are there some current popular applications in
this category to emulate?

This train of thought occurred to me as I was making use of the MS Windows
calculator.  I was wondering if the Linux world had stabilized on a common
desktop calculator yet, and if not perhaps an Ada implementation would be
appropriate & attractive.  The MS Windows calculator has a 'standard' view
and a 'scientific' view.  Perhaps a GTK+ based calculator for Linux which
mimicked the MS Windows one and added an extra 'financial' view could
become popular.

Stanley Allen