Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 20:20:38 +0200
From:
Jerry van Dijk <[log in to unmask]>
> The PC often is the mainframe. It is time to shift the work load to
the
> computer. Humans work better in decimal. Even the least expensive PCs
now
> have more than enough power to work in decimal.

The problem with PC's is not that they cannot use decimal
calculations. The problem is that no PC could even begin
to process the workload of even a small bank, either in
terms of memory, printing and I/O throughput. Not to
mention the required availability rate.

I know of a few banks who started using a more distributed
approach (using custom protocols, more often then not
based on IBM's LU 6.2 protocol, since DCE is seen as too
heavy, and Corba as not yet mature enough), but only for
non-bank critical applications.

Jerry.