Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 07:35:29 -0500
From:
Richard Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Hi, Everyone,

I gave a presentation at the Southeastern Quality Conference on 30 October
2000
on the Digital Nervous System (DNS) of the Lockheed Martin C-130J Software
IPT.
Supporting over 60 software engineers, this is an Internet Level 3 website
family (5 websites - 3 inside of Lockheed Martin that add up to over 30,000
web pages and 2 outside of Lockheed Martin) that meets the CMM Level 4 needs
of the organization.  The conference, sponsored by the American Society for
Quality, was attended by representatives from many companies in the
Southeastern
region of the United States, including Lockheed Martin, Delta Airlines,
Ford,
Ciba Vision, and Motorola.  The company interests came from many domains,
including
finance, healthcare, manufacturing, and retail.

The presentation gave a top-level view of the DNS and presented information
on
the tools and technologies used to created it so attendees would be able to
look into building a similar DNS for themselves.  This DNS was built using a
combination of technologies, which included Ada and Microsoft intermixed.

This presentation was a part of the Software Quality track, which also
included
a presentation by Mark Paulk (one of the authors of the Software CMM from
the SEI)
on Process Models.  The complimented each other nicely in that Mark spoke of
Process Models in theory which I also mentioned the implementation of a
Process
Model and how much it cost to do this.  Unfortunately, the words spoken
during our
talks are not included in the Conference Report.

For those of you who are interested, the report is on the web at:
  http://unicoi.kennesaw.edu/~rconn/conferences/asq_2000/index.htm

This includes copies of both Software Quality track presentations as well as
other
selected presentations, particularly an excellent one by the VP of Technical
Operations
for Delta Airlines.

In addition, a report on the Microsoft Developer Days 2000 conference, which
contains other material related to my presentation, is at:
  http://unicoi.kennesaw.edu/~rconn/conferences/devdays_2000/index.htm

This gives you a lot of background material on the Microsoft technologies I
mentioned
in my presentation.

Rick