From:
"Beard, Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beard, Frank
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:03:27 -0400
Jim,

Currently the two are not connected.  They are two separate
networks.  E-mail can't be sent directly to the ship from the
shore from non-encrypted E-mail systems.  The message
would have to be copied (currently done by hand with pen
and paper) from the unsecure E-mail system and
re-transmitted over the encrypted ship network.

Even if they were to connect over the "commercial" internet,
they would still have NES encryption (for example) between
the systems.  So the only way it could be received is from
another authorized node with NES encryption.

Now if someone were to write the E-mail to a disk and then
re-enter it onto the encrypted system, then it might be
possible.  The Navy would probably re-institute keel-hauling
for the naval operator responsible.

Some of the Navy systems were hit by the "I Love You"
virus, but they were not the ship networks.  They were
the land based internet E-mail systems.

Frank