From:
"Thomas A. Panfil" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 23:59:23 -0400
Richard Conn wrote: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 11:11 PM

>   2. Microsoft is entering the embedded world
> big-time with its embedded visual tools.  Devices
> like Auto PCs (for automobiles), Pocket PCs (including
> ruggedized versions with bar scanners), and the like
> are emerging, and these are being programmed in Visual
> Basic and Visual C++.  These are places where Ada
> could be making inroads.
>
> Is anyone doing something about this situation?  Are
> there any Ada compilers for the Windows CE platform?
> Are there any plans for such compilers?

Windows CE might be an area where Ada need not worry,
at least for a few years.  Per John C. Dvorak's "Inside
Track" on page 99 of the August 2000 PC Magazine:

"...If China isn't enough of a problem, Micorsoft is
still having trouble penetrating the embedded-systems
business.  In last year's Electronic Engineering Times
survey of 5000 readers who were embedded-systems
developers, Windows CE placed 12th on a list of 12 OSs
currently being used.  We're talking low single digit
market share.  And the company has been working on
this for years.  The next iteration is Windows CE 3.0
which according to the company has real-time features.
Seems to me that either such an OS is real-time
or its not.  Real-time features sounds like marketing
nonsense.  Whatever the case, Win CE may never deliver
on its promise.  Microsoft though, must continue
developing it even if it means continuing to lose money.
If Microsoft dropped Win CE, it might loose all future
credibility.  Tough situation."

On the other hand, perhaps Mr. Gates is just pulling his
punches in this area for some reason. -- tap

> Rick
> Richard Conn, Principal Investigator
> Reuse Tapestry

Tom Panfil -- Treasurer -- Baltimore SIGAda
& Registration Chair -- SIGAda 2000