From:
Robin Reagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Reagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 16:19:32 -0600
At 01:29 PM 6/9/00 -0500, you wrote:
> > > The "high level of support" is where the money can be made (See ACT).
> >
> > I am assuming you are referring to the fact that ACT is not cheap.
>
>ACT's support charges are way too high for a "private citizen."  But
>compared to other vendors that I will not name, ACT works for peanuts.
>And ACT's support (during the short period I had it) was the best I had
>gotten from anywhere.

I don't have any problems with ACTs business model. The software is free
and if you need it you can purchase support. The "other" model I feel is
wrong... Charging an arm and a leg for the product and then charging the other
arm and a leg for FAE support of the product. This seems to be a conflict of
interest to me.

> > This giving away code or not giving away code is going to be a thorn.  True
> > we all benefit from free software, however, some of us like to earn money.
> > Call me crazy, however, I would hate to see my hard efforts go to a pirate
> > who makes money off my labor.  There may be some pieces of software
> > that is truly deserving of being free because of its common application or
> > lack of marketability.  These I don't have a problem with.  The other types
> > of software, well, needs to be determined if it is a give away or some
> other
> > form of licensing.
>
>While I sympathize with these sentiments, if you want more people to work
>in Ada, you have to give them
>
>1. something they can work on.
>
>2. something they think is worth working on.

Actually that is why the BSD license is worth a look. The BSD allows you to
write
an application that runs on a BSD OS without giving away you application
(unless
you would like to) This is a major flaw in the GPL AFAIAC.

>--
>Wes Groleau
>http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau

Robin P. Reagan - Software Engineer     [log in to unmask]
SEAKR Engineering, Inc.                 v-303.790.8499
12847 East Peakview Avenue              f-303.790.8720
Englewood, CO  80011
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -Albert Einstein-