From:
Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:22:05 -0500
[said Jim Hopper]

>   Just when you thought MS couldnt do anything more outrageous they do this!
>
> http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-4825719-RHAT.html
>
>    2/14/01 4:57 PM
>    Source:Bloomberg News
>
>    Redmond, Washington, Feb. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp.'s
> Windows operating-system chief, Jim Allchin, says that freely
> distributed software code
>    such as rival Linux could stifle innovation and that legislators
> need to understand the threat.
>
>    The result will be the demise of both intellectual property rights
> and the incentive to spend on research and development, he said
> yesterday, after the
>    company previewed its latest version of Windows. Microsoft has told
> U.S. lawmakers of its concern while discussing protection of
> intellectual property
>    rights.

This is a bit off-topic for Ada, but...

There is no limit to Microsoft's arrogance. The same article discusses
Microsoft's $135 million investment in Corel (!) and mentions that Corel
has stopped being a contributor to Linux development. Linux is now
capturing a 27% market share in installed units of servers OSes.
No wonder Microsoft is worried.

BTW - I did hear on the radio yesterday that the US Justice Dept
is looking at the antitrust implications of M$'s big purchase of
Corel stock. Looks like even with George W. and John Ashcroft in
power, they can still recognize a company trying to buy up a
competitor.

  * * * * *

GNAT fans will just love this quote from the article:

<quote>

Allchin said he's concerned that the open-source business model could
stifle initiative in the computer industry.

''I'm an American, I believe in the American Way,'' he said. ''I worry
if the government encourages open source, and I don't think we've done
enough education of policy makers to understand the threat.''

</quote>

  * * * * *

So now open-source folks are un-American, eh? Well, after all,
Linux was invented by some *&^% foreigner, wasn't it? He was
even rumored to be <gasp> Scandinavian! Isn't that the part of the
world where all the dirty movies come from? No wonder they're
out to undermine the American Way!

Proud as ever to be an unpatriotic spineless tekkie pinko,

I remain yours faithfully,

Mike Feldman