From:
"W. Wesley Groleau x4923" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 11:05:05 -0500
> >tend to surprise me, but not surprise popular browsers.
>
> The general scheme for Uniform Resource Identifiers is contained in
> <http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc2396.txt>RFC<http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc2396.txt>
> 2396 (and others). But what you are seeing above is a non-standard (I
> think) extension that reflects most common usage, i.e. "http:" is assumed
> as the scheme qualifier.

It would not surprise me to hear that some browser interprets that link as
<A href="http://www.x.y/a/b.c"> which means b.c in dir a on host www.x.y

But what the sample really means (according to spec) is the file b.c, in
subdir a, in a _subdir_ named www.x.y which happens to be a subdir of the
directory containing the link.

And most browsers can handle forgetting to put the URI in quotes, but they
will get hopelessy confused when only one of the quote marks is missing.

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau