Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 00:21:39 EST
[log in to unmask] quoted and then wrote:

>> I do feel, however, that posting job openings without an indication
>> of location is fairly counter-productive.  Of course that concern
>> is one where Ada is certainly keeping up with the mainstream :-)
>
>A recruiter has a dilemma:
>
>  Identify the location, and if it's a place that does not have many
>  Ada shops, candidates go direct, or other recruiters pick up on it.
>
>  Don't identify, and many candidates don't respond.

A reasonable compromise if that is a problem would be to
narrow it down.  If I were looking for a job here from
Cambridge, Massachusetts (I am not), saying "Midwest"
would give me a lot of information about whether it was
a place I wanted to live or not.  It would not narrow
things down much for a directed search to find the
employer directly.

I did receive mail in response to my remark from
someone who said he was willing to move anywhere
so did not care about location.  For a lot of us
that is not the case.  Restricting the search to
the segment who have that willingness (rather than
including those who already live nearby or would
like to) is certainly a valid step on the part of
the employer, but may not have been intentional.