From:
Tom Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:57:21 -0700
>Rational's products are not all "chewing gum and baling wire."
  I certainly didn't say, and don't believe, that.  I said
>>They may have decided that the demand is for "chewing gum and baling wire"
in reference to the idea that they are tending to switch their marketing
to tools to patch up the C++ programming process.

> The C++ ship has bigger quality leaks, but they also have much
> bigger bilge pumps
  There are those of us who would rather ride in a ship without such
big leaks, even if the bilge pumps are quite large.  There are also
those of us who find coding in C/C++ not only error prone, but
extremely, unpleasantly, tedious compared to Ada.

>1.  Promote Java.  ...  And while you're teaching Java, you
> can subtly raise the awareness of Better Ways...
>2. Promote tools that will reduce the probability of the disasters that
>   C & C++ are so prone to (like Rational Apex).  Again, sneak in a few

  Perhaps Ada is indeed too far ahead of its time.  Perhaps we should
just decide that at the current time the majority of programmers are
like children - you give them a task as an opportunity for them to
learn, not because you want the task done properly.  If the only
things being automated were video games, OK, but software is becoming
too important for that, IMHO.

  Also, speaking purely selfishly, I'd rather not depend on Java or
C/C++ programs/programmers for anything important, and I'd also rather
not be forced to write/read in those languages to any substantial extent.