From:
"S. Ron Oliver" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:54:39 -0700
At 09:43 AM 2/12/01 -0500, Terry Westley wrote:

. . .

>Since the JVM that JSP requires runs on the server, a better JVM
>could certainly be deployed there with little impact on the clients.
>If an AVM could be built which is a superset of the JVM, this might
>prove useful to both Java and Ada communities.

Yes.  You have very well stated the logic behind my original statement that
this is an excellent idea, and you have added some rationale that had not
occurred to me.

A simple way to get going on this would be to use open source for the JVM
and JGNAT, as suggested by Mike, so we do not need to reimplement what is
already working, but just extend it to support Ada features that are not
(well) supported by JVM.  If this goes well and enough people start using
it, over time, the original JVM code could be rewritten in Ada to be more
reliable, perform better, etc.

sro

S. Ron Oliver, semi-retired professor of Computer Science and Computer
Engineering.  www.csc.calpoly.edu/~sroliver

caress Corporation is proud to be the U.S. representative for Top Graph'X,
developers of high quality software components, using Ada.  For more
information, check out www.topgraphx.com.

Tired of sucky software! ?  Check out www.caressCorp.com and follow the
links to software sucks and The Oliver Academy.