Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 12:48:47 -0500
From:
Clyde Roby <[log in to unmask]>
Ben and Terry,

Terry originally wrote:
> > OK, one more time...  (traffic has been so sparse lately ;-)
> >
> > It appears (to me) that there is enough interest to revive the
> > Web Ada group, although perhaps with a slightly modified or
> > expanded purpose.
> >
> > It's been suggested by several that the ACM SIGAda mailing list
> > is a good basis for a discussion group perhaps later to become a
> > chartered working group.  I think this is a good compromise
> > because some (like me) don't read comp.lang.ada regularly and
> > others don't like commercial groups such as Yahoo Groups.
> >
> > I propose that the Web Ada mailing list be revived to discuss
> > the purpose of such a group and whether there is enough
> > interest to begin a working group.
> >
> > Currie Colket has suggested that ACM would prefer a name of
> > the form SIGAda-Web rather than web_ada and I'm happy to go
> > along with that.  However, the scope of this group may be
> > broader than just the Web.  So, the purpose of my email here
> > is to solicit the opinion of those who would be interested
> > in joining such a group to suggest names for the mailing list,
> > and perhaps ultimately a working group.
> >
> > Ideas?
> >    1) SIGAda-Web
> >    2) SIGAda-Internet
> >    3) SIGAda-Net
> >    4) SIGAda-other?
> >
> > Thanks for your input.
> >
> > --Terry Westley, [log in to unmask]

Ben replied:
> Terry,
>
> Assuming that the Web Working Group is organized under SIGAda (which has a
> number of advantages) I suggest the name "WebWG" for consistency with the
> other SIGAda Working Groups -- NumWG, PIWG, CAUWG, etc.  There is an
> implicit "use clause" (I guess the fully qualified name would be
> ACM.SIGAda.WebWG).
>
> But a point of clarification... is the intent of the WG to include
> discussion of Ada /Java issues?  If so, then "WebWG" is a misnomer since a
> lot of items in the Ada / Java area have nothing to do with the Web.
>
> -Ben Brosgol

I agree with Ben that the name "WebWG" is a good working group name
(with the email discussion list being "SIGAda-Web").  I'm not sure
what Terry's original focus was, but I think that if the focus is
really using Ada for web-based stuff, which will ultimately pull in
other areas of interest such as Java, JavaScript, XML, and perhaps
other web-related technologies, then "WebWG" is a good name.  As Ben
indicated, if discussion of the issues go beyond the web-based stuff,
then perhaps another WG might need to be started -- or perhaps another
ACM SIG: SIGJava?

Clyde Roby