From:
Terry Westley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry Westley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:09:26 -0500
Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. writes:
> What do I do with an HTML, XHTML, or preferably, XML web page to tell it to
> use Ada as its scripting language?

Pascal Obry responds:
> Again, I don't think that Ada scripting language is a good idea ! Ok let me
> explain :) With current scripting language like ASP, PHP you embed the code
> into the Web page and this is (from my point of view) as bad as putting the
> Web page into a CGI program !
>
> Ok, now we need some scripting for -small- interaction with the Web page. Use
> Javascript, I don't see the point of implementing another scripting
> language. Javascript is not good, but well it exist and is integrated in any
> browsers.

I agree 100%.  All the new web technology is based on template systems where
you can separate the presentation (HTML) from the business logic (Ada, Java,
etc).  Whether a particular technology (ASP, PHP, ColdFusion, JSP) is
successful at this or not is in the eye of the beholder (or perhaps in the
UML of the designer).  JavaScript is fine for the limited amount of scripting
that you might want to do in the presentation side.

I've not tried Pascal's AWS template parser.  JSP has one major advantage
over AWS in that I can deploy a JSP-based system on many commercial web
hosting sites.  The advantage that JSP has over all the other template
systems is that, because it is based on JVM technology, I can code all
the business logic in Ada and compile with JGNAT.

Just to keep up an appearance of refering to the subject line, I haven't yet
found a need for an AVM.  For what I've done so far (admittedly, very little),
I find the JVM to be adequate.

--
Terry Westley