Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 17:42:37 -0600
From:
Randy Brukardt <[log in to unmask]>
> Hi Teamers,
>         I am working on a tutorial application to teach iteration
> to CS1 classes using a graphical interface.  To achieve my aims I
> need to be able to write a graphics file to a Windows98 graphics
> window controlling its size and position in the window.  The
> format of the file doesn't matter but I am
> thinking in terms of .bmp, .gif or .jpg files.

Claw has routines to make this easy for .BMP files. We had to write them
ourselves; Win32 doesn't have any direct support for reading graphics files.
(You don't usually need to read the file in Win32 programs. If it does not
change, you should just load it as a resource. But you do need to load files
if they can change, as they do in the Claw Builder.)

We made the routines stream attributes, so they can be used for other things
as well (putting a graphic into the clipboard or the registry, for example).

The only drawback to Claw is that you have to help us support its
development :-), but we do have an inexpensive educational version
available. (The support you're looking for isn't in the free demo version,
otherwise I'd recommend that.)

Martin noted some other ways to do the job.

                                Randy Brukardt
                                R.R. Software, Inc.

Standard Disclaimer here: I'm the lead developer for Claw, so I might be
biased...but I doubt it. :-)