Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 00:19:03 EDT
(Michael Feldman) [log in to unmask] quoted and then wrote:

>Robin et al,

>> It seems to me that working "behind the scenes" is only part of the
>> work. There has to be some work "In front of the scenes" if the people
>> behind the scenes are going to do anything.
>
>Not in my experience. First accomplish something behind the scenes.
>THen work quietly to build a bigger group behind the scenes. Then
>when you really have something to say, go public. Otherwise it's
>just theoretical, yet another "Here's an opportunity for Ada...
>you guys go do something with it."

You don't have to get the whole thing done before getting positive
feedback. I had the pleasure recently of an encounter started by
some joking Ada-bashing in an electronic interchange by someone
who considered me as the Ada advocate in that community.  I made
a few comments but then some other people jumped in to say that
there were needs for programming environments that led to fully
specified and highly reliable code.  They did not explicitly say
"Ada is great" but they had the effect of bolstering my own work
at promoting Ada in that community.