From:
Mike Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:55:32 -0500
Hal,

What Ben says is true. Your intentions are good, but you are placing either the
list and/or yourself at risk of receiving more spam. Just changing your
identity isn't enough - they can generally still unwind the headers to get your
actual e-mail address.

Just to let everyone know, I dutifully report every piece of spam that comes
across the Team Ada list through SpamCop. This was extremely effective several
months back, but I'm not so sure how effective it is any more. The spammers
just seem to move from host to host and open relay to open relay. It seems that
reporting the spam through SpamCop can also put you at risk, since the original
recipient (you) appear in the headers of the spam you're reporting, the
recipient of the report gets your address. I'm convinced that some of the spam
now comes from ISPs set up specifically for this purpose, so the people you
complain to are also the ones you're complaining about!

Anyway, my intent is not to continue this off topic discussion, but is to let
everyone on the list know that there is no need on your part to follow up on
any spam received via the list. Please try to limit reactionary messages to the
spam that comes across the list, as this typically generates more traffic than
does the actual spam mail.

Mike
Team Ada list admin