"Team Ada: Ada Programming Language Advocacy (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:41:25 -0400
At 1:36 AM +1000 9/10/04, Alan and Carmel Brain wrote:
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/06/ams_goes_windows_for_warships/

>Now the Windows NT API is quite a reasonable basis for many reliable systems.
>
>But the article implies that what's being forced on the engineers at BAe is a bit
>more than that, it's Win2k in its entirety.
>
>But maybe I'm being a dinosaur here, I don't see any reason why there should be
>any form of OS larger than a POSIX kernel in a Naval Combat System...
>
>I do question when this trend will end though. Visual Basic the language of the future?

It is important for naval forces to use compatible systems to those of
major allies:

http://www.gcn.com/archives/gcn/1998/july13/cov2.htm

But I believe the name Yorktown comes from a battle in the 1700s when
the US and the UK were not allied.
--
Larry Kilgallen