Sender:
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:27:31 -0500
From:
Call For Papers

International Journal of Computational Science (IJCS)
http://www.gip.hk/ijcs/ Special Issue:  COMPUTATIONAL ART

Guest Editors:

Dr. Athanasios Vasilakos

(University of Western  Macedonia, Greece)

Dr. Magy Seif El-Nasr

(Pennsylvania State University, USA)

This is a call for papers for a special issue to be published in the
scholarly journal the "International Journal of Computational Science
(IJCS)". IJCS is a refereed journal focusing on theories, methods, and
applications of computational science, facilitating the dissemination of
research of this field in business, government, and educational institutions
worldwide. This special issue will focus on the multi-disciplinary emerging
area of computational art.

With the evolution of intelligent devices, sensors, and ambient
intelligent/ubiquitous systems, it is not surprising to see many research
projects starting to explore the design of intelligent artistic artifacts.
This is a new multi-disciplinary area that is still in its infancy. The goal
of this special issue is to outline some of the seminal work in this
important and growing area.

Ambient Intelligence (AmI) supports the vision that technology will become
invisible, embedded in our natural surroundings, present whenever we need
it, attuned to all our senses, adaptive to users and context and
autonomously acting. High quality information and content must be available
to any user, anywhere, at any time, and on any device. Movements like "Dada"
or experiences like "Happening" or "Performance Art" were mainly focused in
dissolving the barriers between art and life, actor and spectator. AmI
technologies within the arts intend to bring art to the ordinary people
while offering to the artists a creative tool to extend the grammar of the
traditional arts. Such experiences will be major drivers of culture.

The scope of this issue is to present new artworks, research papers, and
performances in the areas of arts and technology. We seek papers that
discuss contributions in both the art and technology. We seek papers that
discuss both theory and practice. Work discussed should be in a finished
state and fully implemented, if appropriate. Work discussed can take on many
forms, including but not limited to art exhibits, interactive performances,
multi-media installations, computer games, virtual reality and interactive
mixed reality experiences, interactive theatre, visual dance spaces, digital
and wearable cinema, scenic and choreographic narratives, technology and
music, algorithmic art, genetic and  evolutionary art  systems that create
drawings, images, animations, sculptures, poetry, text, etc., internet art,
bio-art,  nanotechnology art.

The journal is distributed in print and online. This special issue will be
refereed by a full reviewing committee of scholars in the field of
computational art. Interested authors should submit a max of 15-page paper,
according to the authors' submission guidelines of the IJCS:
http://www.gip.hk/ijcs/, to Special Issue Editors: Athanasios Vasilakos at
[log in to unmask] and Magy Seif El-Nasr at [log in to unmask] Papers
should be sent in PDF format by 15 May 2007. Notification of acceptance will
be sent 30 July 2007.

Important Deadlines

Submission of Papers: 15 May 2007

Notification of Acceptance: 30 July 2007 Final Paper submission: 30 August
2007

Publication: 4th quarter of 2007

Magy Seif El-Nasr

Assistant Professor

College of Information Sciences and Technology

Computer Science and Engineering

Penn State University

316E IST Building

University Park, PA 16802