Sender:
From:
Martin Brynskov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 00:16:02 +0200
If you want to contribute to a stimulating discussion on Digital Urban
Living with your peers, join experts Adam Greenfield (Nokia Design)
and Bren O'Callaghan (BBC Big Screens) for a full-day workshop in
Lund, Sweden (in conncetion with NordiCHI'08). Part of the workshop
will involve the city itself. More info in the call below.

-Martin

Call for Papers: Workshop on DIGITAL URBAN LIVING
NordiCHI 2008 full-day workshop, Lund, Sweden, October 19, 2008

Position paper submission deadline: September 20, 2008

WORKSHOP THEME
====================

Digital technologies are permeating ever-more spheres of urban living,
yet the emergence, potentials and consequences of this trend is fairly
unexplored. Mobile phones, cameras, various kinds of sensors, and new
kinds of large and small displays integrated in built environments
provide new means of communicating and experiencing, and in some cases
the interaction with emerging interfaces and media become experiences
in their own right.  The fluent and emergent experience-oriented use
of urban interfaces challenges current research in both interaction
design and innovation management. The theme of this workshop is to
explore and discuss digital urban living as an arena for technologies
that facilitate citizen-driven communication, revitalize cultural
heritage, and present us with new aesthetic potentials.

GOAL
====================

The goal of the workshop is to advance the pragmatic and theoretical
understanding of digital urban living. The workshop will in particular
explore the challenges concerning how to understand and design for
this new arena.

TOPICS
====================

In order to address various perspectives on and approaches to digital
urban living we invite contributions in the following categories:
1) Design methods and techniques: Specific methods or techniques,
preferably well-tested in practice, that are lend themselves to
designing for digital urban living
2) Theoretical perspectives: We also invite contributions that address
ways of understanding, analyzing and discussing digital urban living.
3) Case studies: We further invite participants to contribute with
case studies of digital urban living.

Through the selection of participants for the workshop we will strive
to cover a broad range of themes, including digital art and
aesthetics, cultural heritage, civic communication, digital urban
communities, hyper local journalism, etc.

We invite participants to address one or more of the following
questions, although this is by no means an exhaustive list:
- What is the role of aesthetics in designing for digital urban living?
- How should we go about designing digital urban infrastructures?
- How should we shape the interfaces for accessing and exploring
digital urban living?
- To which degrees can we use new interfaces to promote ‘old’ content?
(e.g. how can we mediate cultural heritage using new urban interfaces?)
- What is the role of user-generated content in digital urban living?
And what could it be in the future?
- How may current design tools, material and techniques be adapted to
meet the challenges of designing for digital urban living?
- What is the nature of digital urban living compared to the life at
home or at the workplace – and what are the implications for the way
we understand design processes?
- Is HCI in its present state adequate for addressing digital urban
living?
- Which materials lend themselves to designing for digital urban living?
- How do we tackle the issue of polluting the city with a deluge of
digital information?

INVITED PARTICIPANTS
====================

To nurture the discussion on digital urban living, we have invited a
couple of people who have each done extensive work in topics closely
related to the workshop theme. The participants include Adam
Greenfield, head of design direction for service and user-interface
design at Nokia, and Bren O'Callaghan, creative producer and manager
with the BBC Public Space Broadcasting Project; responsible for the
Big Screen Liverpool. Each of them will give a short talk on their
work and its relation to Digital Urban Living.

PARTICIPATION
====================
To participate in this workshop, please submit a 2-4 page position
paper (ACM format <http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates
 >) relating to at least one of the themes outlined above.
Participants should also prepare a 5 minute presentation for the
workshop.
Max. number of participants: 25.
Submission deadline: September 20, 2008.
Notification: September 29, 2008.
Please send you position paper to workshop organizer Peter Dalsgaard: [log in to unmask]

WORKSHOP FORMAT
====================

Digital Urban Living is a full-day workshop. The program is as follows:
- Morning: Presentation of position papers and discussion. Each
participant provides a 5-minute presentation of their position.
- Midday: Participants team up in groups with similar areas of interest.
- Afternoon: The groups are given specific assignments related to
their areas of interest and carry out in-situ design experiments in
Lund. The goal is to create mock-up demonstrators that embody their
main points within the field of digital urban living. Upon this,
participants present and discuss these demonstrators in plenum.

ORGANIZERS
====================

Kim Halskov is Professor in Interaction Design  at CAVI, the Centre
for Advanced Visualization and Interaction, University of Aarhus.

Ole Sejer Iversen is Associate Professor in Design at the Department
of Information and Media Studies, University of Aarhus

Martin Brynskov is Assistant Professor in Interaction Technologies at
the Department of Information and Media Studies, University of Aarhus

Peter Dalsgaard is PhD Fellow in Interaction Design at CAVI, the
Centre for Advanced Visualization and Interaction, University of Aarhus.

Christian Dindler is PhD Fellow in Design at Department of Information
and Media Studies, University of Aarhus.

--
Martin Brynskov, Ph.D.
Assistant professor, interaction technologies