From:
"S. Ron Oliver" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S. Ron Oliver
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 15:54:33 -0600
At 08:37 AM 8/29/00 -0400, Kester, Rush W. wrote:

>Recent discussions have made a point that not everyone in the Ada
>community uses every mode of communications: e.g., web sites, email
>list, news groups, professional & trade journals.  IMO, this is
>natural.  Some people either don't have access to all modes, or
>may just prefer to utilize one over the other.
>
>I don't see this as a sign of intentional "Balkanization" or
>"exclusive" attitudes of any of the groups.  I DO see this as a
>reminder to everyone that valuable messages should be repeated on
>each of the different medias.  Those individuals whose interests
>span multiple modes of communications are "gateways" who can and
>IMO SHOULD promote cross-communications.
>
>I appreciate those who point out a good article in "Ada Letters," an
>interesting discussion on comp.lang.ada, a new webpage, email list,
>etc.
>
>It also points out that those who control various organizations or
>modes of communications (editors, webmasters, moderators, elected
>officers, etc.) need to work hard to let other interested parties
>know how their "system works".  It's especially important to provide
>information about: who's in charge & how to get in touch with them,
>and how to become an active partipant.

Very well said.  I concur with your very rational assessment.  I would only
point out that MOST of the people involved in these activities are
volunteers, and it is very difficult for volunteers to be as rigorous with
their volunteer work as with their "real" work.

However, if we could all keep the points you raised in mind, we may be able
to do better with minimal additional effort.

sro

S. Ron Oliver, semi-retired professor of Computer Science and Computer
Engineering.  www.csc.calpoly.edu/~sroliver

Tire of sucky software! ?  Check out www.caressCorp.com and follow the
links to software sucks and The Oliver Academy.