Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:24:40 -0600
8)> Now that Microsoft is going to replace Java with C#, what's the
8)> prognosis for Java?
8)>

I actually just came back from a Sun Java class last week and this was an
interesting discussion that was going on in the background.  One guy thought
just that, Java was dead because Microsoft said so.  By this logic then so
is Ada, the Mac, tape decks, and many other technologies that were
one-upped.

I spent the week recording my "Poor man's language" list of things I did not
like about Java, as well as a list of things I did like and wanted to check
how to do the same in Ada.  The #1 thing Java did was to make it cheap (heck
nearly free) to build multi-platform applications.  No additional compilers
to buy, just a few extra tests to assure proper performance and look and
feel.  Heck with Swing and servlets even this is only half an issue now.

If Java does die, it will at least have forced the issue of moving the level
of software abstraction out of what box, OS, drivers, GUI, and other such
replaceable temporary items that are serving the industry for the current
nine month development cycle.

Tony

P.S.  I would be terribly interested in finding a place to discuss other
Ada-philes views on the Java language and how Ada can learn lessons for
possible future iterations.

Shop online without a credit card
http://www.rocketcash.com
RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary