Sender:
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 11:09:43 -0500
From:
Lisa Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Cognitive Science Society Virtual Colloquium Series

We apologize for the audio and video difficulties people experienced during
Susan Goldin-Meadow's seminar on Jan. 21st. We had tested both but without
the large number of people who attended. We have fixed the problems that led
to the poor quality and would like to invite you to come to another seminar
offered by Susan Goldin-Meadow, for which details follow. To allow for the
videos to download to your computer before the seminar starts, please
connect to the seminar 1 hour early although you will not need to actually
join in until the seminar start. Register at no charge at
http://www.ctaresource.com/CognitiveScience to attend.

Time:  Friday, February 11, 2005
1:00 - 2:00 p.m. EST

Presenter: Susan Goldin-Meadow, Irving B. Harris Professor of Psychology,
University of Chicago

Topic: How our hands help us think

When people talk, they gesture. We now know that these gestures are
associated with learning. They can index moments of cognitive instability
and reflect thoughts not yet found in speech. In this talk, I explore the
possibility that gesture might do more than just reflect learning - it might
be involved in the learning process itself. I consider two non-mutually
exclusive possibilities. First, gesture could play a role in the learning
process by displaying, for all to see, the learner's newest, and perhaps
undigested, thoughts. Parents, teachers, and peers would then have the
opportunity to react to those unspoken thoughts and provide the learner with
the input necessary for future steps. Second, gesture could play a role in
the learning process more directly by providing another representational
format, one that would allow the learner to explore, perhaps with less
effort, ideas that may be difficult to think through in a verbal format.
Thus gesture has the potential to contribute to cognitive change, directly
by influencing the learner and indirectly by influencing the learning
environment.

Sincerely,
Tom Ward

Thomas B. Ward
Center for Creative Media
Box 870172
University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0172
http://bama.ua.edu/~tward

The seminar series is managed by Aptima, Inc, and delivered using Elluminate
Live. The seminar series is sponsored by the Office of Naval Research