From:
Rich Gunther <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rich Gunther <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 09:08:22 -0400
Final Notice:  UPA "The Business of Usability" workshop submission deadline
extended to April 25th!

What:  A workshop taking place at the Usability Professional's Association
2006 Conference.
When: Monday, June 12th from 8 AM to 5 PM Mountain Standard Time
Where:  The Omni Interlocken Hotel in Broomfield, Colorado

started a little over two years ago in an attempt to develop a set of
standardized metrics for measuring the effects of usability and
user-centered design practices on the business performance of the
organizations in which they are deployed.  This workshop will bring together
the pundits and published authors, researchers, engineers, marketers,
designers, and project managers, who have weighed in on how to best quantify
and qualify our value-add, return on investment, and total cost of
ownership.  We shall also invite manager- and director-level practitioners
to share their insights on justifying their budgets, headcounts, and
resource needs to their powers-that-be.  The end goal of the workshop is to
advance the overall goal of the research project:  to provide valid ways of
measuring return-on-investment (ROI) for a variety of user-centered design
methods, and then to test those metrics by collecting benchmark data from
industry-leading organizations.

Invited Expert Panel
The following invited experts will present position talks and serve as
discussion leaders in the working sessions throughout the day:

*	Nigel Bevan of Serco Usability UK

*	Kaaren Hanson of Intuit

*	Bill Jensen of SimplerWork

*	Aaron Marcus of AMandA

*	Randolph Bias of Univ. of Texas

*	Arnie Lund of Microsoft

Call For Participation
We are recruiting 25-30 usability/UCD managers and directors to attend the
workshop, share their insights, experiences, and perspectives, and
collaborate with the workshop facilitators and expert panelists toward the
development of a standardized and valid set of metrics for measuring the
positive effects of the work we do.  We've prepared an interactive website
for submitting a response to this call for participation.  At a base level,
candidates should meet the following criteria:

*                    Must have at least 7 years experience in the usability
field, or in a customer-centered area of their organization.

*                    Must have held a management position at more than one
company, or, if they are a consultant, for clients from a variety of
industries.

*                    Must be able, legally, to share their work experiences,
business metrics, and processes with the workshop.

The call for participation website is located at
www.ovostudios.com/upa_2006/call_for_participation_step1.asp

Why Should You Attend?
The goal of, and hence the expected deliverables from, this workshop are
part of something that has never been done before.  While there is a
plethora of anecdotal and non-generalized metrics revolving around the
measuring the benefits of usability, there have never been an empirical set
of metrics that could be applied to any industry, any corporate culture, any
size of business, etc.  Your participation in this workshop will allow you
to say that you were part of this groundbreaking, original work.  Our hope
is that this work will increase the overall acceptance of usability around
the world, throughout the IT, government, education, and consumer markets.

You'll also get to hear and work with some of the most forward-thinking
usability and business experts in the field today.  Our expert panel was
selected specifically because of their dedication to advancing the business
of usability.  They have each published and presented on measuring
organizational effectiveness, developing and testing metrics for usability,
and/or methods for justifying our budgets, headcount, resources, and
professional existence!  You'll find that each expert takes a slightly
different perspective, from an academic view, to a consulting view, to a
large company view, to an "outside looking in" view.  We hope you'll find
these perspectives helpful within your organizations.

How Will We Choose Who Is Invited?
We will use a semi-blind review process, whereby your name will be obscured,
but your organizational affiliation(s) and experience will not be.  We feel
that a good cross-section of experience is necessary to be an effective
attendee.  Our reviewers have been selected from the UPA membership, from
our Expert Panel, and from UPA "Usability in the Enterprise" committee
members.  Each position paper will be reviewed by three reviewers.  We would
ideally like to have 5 "manager/directors" per expert for our working group
sessions, so we intend to invite a total of 25-30 candidates.

Deadlines and Dates:

*	The Call for Participation shall be open between March 15th and
April 25th, 2006.

*	The deadline for submissions shall be April 25th, 2006.

*	We shall notify candidates as to whether or not they are invited to
attend by May 1st, 2006.

*	Invited candidates must confirm their attendance by May 15th, 2006.

Regards,
Rich Gunther
Ovo Studios
phone: 336-298-3035