From:
Andreas Butz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andreas Butz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:19:41 +0100
CALL FOR WORKSHOP PAPERS
CHI2006 International Conference

Workshop: "Information Visualization and Interaction Techniques for
Collaboration across Multiple Displays"
Workshop Dates: Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 April 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Submission Deadline: 19 December 2005
Workshop Website: <http://nvac.pnl.gov/ivitcmd_chi06>

We are excited to announce the workshop on Information Visualization and
Interaction Techniques for Collaboration across Multiple Displays at
CHI2006.  Please forward this call to others that would be interested in
participating in the workshop.  We are looking forward to lively
discussions on this important topic.

We appologize if you have recieved more than one email announcement on
this workshop in our zeal to spread the word.

MOTIVATION AND FOCUS OF THE WORKSHOP
==============================
Most visualization tools available today have been optimized for
conventional desktop displays and interaction devices and single-user
interaction. The production of diverse, multi-sources, and dynamic data,
though, is growing at exceptional rates. Such increasing complexity
implies the need for collaboration in the analysis and management of
information.
Data need then to be processed and analyzed in social contexts in which
interaction with other people and with the artifacts that embody
collective knowledge plays a fundamental role. Additional complexity
arises from the need to merge and synthesize different perspectives and
to exploit the analytical and creative potential of multiple
individuals, that can be distributed, provide different competences and
skills, and interact with different artifacts. Technology promises to
support such collaboration, but several challenges need to be faced to
realize the vision of supporting collaborative analytical reasoning.

In this workshop, we want to exchange findings about extending
visualization tools in two ways. First, we will investigate
visualization across different display form factors. We are interested
in display devices ranging in size from wristwatches and hand-held
personal data assistants (PDAs) to high-resolution full-wall and
theater-sized displays, as well as multi-display environments. Second,
we are interested in using such systems for collaborative sense-making
involving two or more users.

Topics include, but are not limited to:
. large displays: information visualization and interaction techniques
for collaboration;
. small displays: user interfaces for mobile platforms;
. multiple displays: information visualization and migratory interfaces
for interaction across different devices or/and locations;
. visualization and manipulation of information on wall displays,
table-top displays, tiled displays, projection based displays,
interactive rooms;
. shared displays: interfaces for multi-user interaction, allocation of
interaction policies; input/output devices for collaboration;
. awareness displays: displays for peripheral attention;  multimodal
interfaces;  kinesiology-based interfaces;
. perception, cognition, sense-making and reasoning supported by large
information spaces;
. new collaboration patterns within and among communities:  impact of
large, shared, distributed and small in field displays on collaboration,
education, and social behavior and decision making processes; activity
theory approaches; ethnographic studies; comparative studies on
different domains and device technology.

INTENDED AUDIENCE & WORKSHOP FORMAT
===================================
Coherently with our focus on collaboration, we aim to raise discussion
on the topic and leverage a share of experiences among people addressing
these aspects from different perspectives. We foster the exchange and
interaction among participants from different communities, such as
computer science, interaction design, arts, CSCW and CSCL, ethnography
and sociology, enhancing an interdisciplinary approach and
cross-fertilization among communities. The workshop will provide the
opportunity for participants to establish contacts to draw and work on a
shared research agenda.
Participants both from academics and industry are invited to join in a
synergetic collaboration.

The 2 full-days workshop will consist of a combination of selected
presentations, breakout groups, a hands-on working session, and guided
discussions. Participants should be prepared to participate actively
during the workshop.

Participants need to register to the workshop on the CHI2006 conference
website: the registration to the conference technical program is not
required to attend the workshop. For updated informatin about
registration deadlines and fees please refere to the conference website
<http://www.chi2006.org/index.php>

SUBMISSIONS
===========
Potential participants are to submit a position paper up to 4 pages in the
CHI2006 conference extended abstract format
<http://www.chi2006.org/ceaf.php> describing their work, interests,
views, and possibly including a link to a demo or video of existing
projects. The position papers are to be sent as .pdf file by December
19, 2005 to mailto:[log in to unmask]

IMPORTANT DATES
===============
* 19 December 2005 - Deadline for Position Paper Submission
* Week of the 8th of January 2006 - Notification of acceptance
* Beginning of February - Deadline for Conference early registration
* 6 February 2006 - Submission Deadline of Final Material to be
published on workshop website
* 22-23 April 2006 - Workshop

WORKSHOP ORGANIZERS
===================
Lucia Terrenghi
Media Informatics
LMU Munich University, Germany
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Richard May
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Patrick Baudisch
Microsoft Research
Redmond, WA, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]

WORKSHOP PROGRAM COMMITTEE
==========================
Wendy MacKay
I.N.R.I.A., France

Fabio Paterno
ISTI-CNR, Italy

Jim Thomas
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, USA

Mark Billinghurst
HITLab, New Zealand

CHI 2006 Conference
<http://www.chi2006.org/>