Sender:
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:23:43 -0500
7bit
From:
Kay Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
NEW SPEAKER AT HITS

Bruce Nussbaum
Editorial Page Editor, Business Week magazine
"Technology: Just Make It Simpler"
A huge chunk of the electricity grid fails. The Internet clogs up and PCs crash. The space shuttle falls to the earth. Complex high-tech systems everywhere appear to be failing, and our society feels increasingly threatened. What is going on? Have we built a high-tech society that is doomed to crash again and again? Can we fix it? We may be making the problem worse by centralizing and standardizing systems, and by starving them of the resources needed to manage them safely. The answer is to use markets and the political process to design systems that give people adequate time to manage failure, and are diverse and flexible enough so that parts continue to operate when something goes down.

DISCOUNTED HOTEL DEADLINE: SEPT 15
If you have not yet made plans to come to HITS but are likely to do so, be aware that THIS MONDAY, September 15, is the deadline for both of the nearby hotels which offer a discount to HITS guests. Blocks of rooms are still reserved; mention the conference and receive a 30% discount from the regular rate. More information:
http://www.id.iit.edu/events/hits/hotels.html

INSTITUTE OF DESIGN HITS FELLOWS
The Institute of Design is pleased to welcome these interaction, design and business leaders to HITS as our special guests.

Christian Alcenius, Managing Director, FutureLab
Pauli Arje, Creative Director, FutureLab
Jonathan Arnowitz, Bulletin Editor-in-Chief, SIGCHI
Jean Canavan, Founder and CEO, Artifacts Group LLC
Eric Chan, President, ECCO Design
Hugh Dubberly, Principal, Dubberly Design Office; former VP of Design, Netscape
Harve Ferrill, Former CEO, Advance Ross Corporation
James D. Foley, Professor, College of Computing and School of Electrical & Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
Peter Lawrence, Chairman and Founder, Corporate Design Foundation
Ian McClelland, User Experience Architect, Philips Digital Systems Laboratory; Adjunct Chair for Specialized Conferences, SIGCHI
Clement Mok CEO, CMCD; President emeritus, AIGA
Tim Parsey, Vice President & Director, Consumer Design, Motorola
Jeff Smith, CEO, Lunar Design
Jan Stael von Holstein, Chairman, Oakley Young Ltd.

ABOUT HITS

HITS  -  Humans Interaction Technology Strategy
a conference about interaction design and business strategy

October 16-17, 2003
Chicago, Illinois
http://www.id.iit.edu/events/hits/

Creating high-quality interactive experiences that delight users and satisfy people's increasingly complex needs is becoming recognized as a strategic asset for business. Presented by the Institute of Design, IIT, in cooperation with ACM SIGCHI, the HITS Conference will explore the nature of the link between user value and business value, and how user-centered design can lead to more valued, and valuable, interactive experiences with the products, communications, environments and services of the future.

HITS:  Humans  |  Interaction  |  Technology  |  Strategy
October 16-17, 2003
Chicago, Illinois

Institute of Design
Illinois Institute of Technology