Sender:
From:
Terry Winograd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:12:24 -0800
  Final Call for Participation.
  DIS 2002 ("Designing Interactive Systems")

  ** Note revised submission deadline of DEC 14th 2001  **

  DIS2002, London - June 25-28 2002

  Venue: The British Museum

  Deadlines for submissions:
     December 14th 2001:   Papers, Exhibits, Design Cases
     January 31st 2002:   Tutorials, Master Classes, Workshops,
                          Post-Graduate Symposium

  More information and submission details:  www.sigchi.org/DIS2002/
   DIS2002 - DESIGNING INTERACTIVE SYSTEMS         *** 25-28.June.02 ***
    "A venue for serious reflection on the practice of designing
     interactive systems, exploring the aesthetic, social and
     cultural dimensions of new technologies."
   Many people are involved in creating interactive systems, from
   information designers to organisational managers, product designers
   to systems engineers, interaction designers to usability experts, and
   social scientists to product strategists. To progress we need to engage
   in serious reflection on the actual practice of Designing Interactive
   Systems and learn from one another. What methods have been successful?
   Where have we failed? How are we educating and changing? What does it
   take to create useful, usable and desirable systems?
   Submit a proposal for participating in DIS2002, and join us in London
   for three days of discussion, debate and inspiration.

   http://www.sigchi.org/DIS2002/

   Highlights
  The plenary speakers at the event will be:

   * Bill Moggridge, IDEO, USA
   * Tony Dunne and Fiona Raby, Royal College of Art, UK
   * Tom Moran, IBM, USA

     http://www.sigchi.org/DIS2002/speakers/

   Panel: Education
   * John Maeda, MIT Media Lab, USA
   * Gillian Crampton Smith, Interaction Design Institute Ivrea, Italy

   Panel: Design Exhibition
   * Ben Fry, moderator, MIT Media Lab, USA

   Panel: Student Design Competitions
   * S. Joy Mountford, IDbias, USA

   Panel: London Design Tour Preview
   * Nico Macdonald, Spy, UK

   Submissions
   We are inviting conference submissions ranging from design exhibits to
   academic research papers. The key aspect of submissions is that they
   should represent serious reflection on the actual practice of Designing
   Interactive Systems and how we learn from one another. What methods
   have been successful? Where have we failed? How are we educating and
   changing? What does it take to create useful, usable and desirable
   systems?

   We also invite submissions for Tutorials, Workshops, Master Classes
   and Post-Graduate Symposium that will take place on Tuesday 25 June.
   The purpose is to provide participants with a forum for improving
   their knowledge in specific areas that correspond with one or other
   of the issues addressed by the conference. Your submission should make
   clear how your chosen topic relates to the issues identified above.

   All accepted papers and design cases will be presented at the
   conference as part of the main programme.

   http://www.sigchi.org/DIS2002/submissions/

   Submission deadlines
   * Receipt
     Papers, Exhibits & Design Cases:
     14 December, 2001 (revised from 7 December)

     Tutorials, Master Classes, Workshops &
     Post-Graduate Symposium proposals:

   * Notification to contributors
     Papers and Exhibits:

   * Other submissions:

     Final versions:

   Publication
   Exhibits, papers and keynotes will be collected in a professionally
   designed and edited book, recording the new insights, questions, and
   answers we reach in a way that can assist other practitioners.

   Examples of submissions, and guidelines for designing a submission, are
   available on the DIS2002 Web site.

   Organisers
    * Co-chairs
      Alistair Sutcliffe, UMIST
      Bill Verplank, Stanford University

   --
    * Technical Program Co-chairs
      Wendy Mackay, I.N.R.I.A

   --
    * Workshops, Tutorials and Master Classes
      Ian McClelland, Philips Consumer Electronics

   --
    * Post-Graduate Symposium
      Allan MacLean, Xerox Research Centre Europe

   --
    * Publicity, Web and Print Editor
      Nico Macdonald, Writer, London

   --
    * Treasurer
      John Karat, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center

      http://www.sigchi.org/DIS2002/contacts/

   Program Committee
   The full program committee can be found at:

   http://www.sigchi.org/DIS2002/committee/

    "We invite you to contribute your insights and benefit from
     those of others experienced in the practice of designing
     successful interactive systems."

  Version 11, Mon 12 Nov 2001 20:23:15