Sender:
From:
Jonathan Grudin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 00:58:12 -0800
The period following the submission of camera-ready copy and
announcement of the advanced program for the spring CHI conference
has been a good one for the Transactions on Computer-Human
Interaction -- many submissions arrive in January and February. I
hope you will consider spending some of this break preparing a
journal article for submission to TOCHI or elsewhere. The role of
journals in our evolving field is a complex topic, but in five years
as editor it has become clear to me that the principal benefit to the
field of most journal articles lies in the greater understanding
acquired by the authors in preparing and revising a manuscript, and
this is a substantial benefit. That is not how I saw it years ago
when I began submitting papers myself. Yes, we'd like to hear about
your work, but you owe it to yourself to write it up and submit it.

The next four issues of TOCHI will include an interesting set of
papers including two on mobile computing, two on constraint
programming, one on visual search, one on applying cartoon animation
techniques to interfaces, one on integrating paper and digital
information, one on consistency maintenance in realtime groupware,
and a special issue of 4 papers on new approaches to usability.

I hope the four issues following these four will include a submission
that you will spend some time on over the next month. It would be
boring to sit around eating turkey, talking to relatives, compiling
new year's resolutions, and playing with presents the whole time.

Happy Holidays --

Jonathan Grudin
Editor, ACM TOCHI

Jonathan Grudin, Editor
ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction     Email: [log in to unmask]
Microsoft Research                                   Web: www.acm.org/tochi
One Microsoft Way                                     Phone: (425) 936-0784
Redmond, WA 98052-6399  USA                             Fax: (425) 936-7329