From:
Jeffrey Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:25:20 -0600
Lionel Draghi wrote:

> Stephane Richard wrote:
> >
> > A agree with you that JVM is "the" strong point of Java, so when do we make
> > our AVM then ?  (Ada Virtual Machines) huh?
> >
> As stated by Jean-Pierre Rosen, Java is the less portable langage, as it
> only run on a single machine! Thats why the JVM is so important... for
> Java. Ada is really portable, so wouldn't the AVM be useless?

I don't see a need for an AVM. However, a JVM implementation in Ada,
open source and free in both senses, might be a worthwhile project if
anyone cares to undertake it. It should reliably execute all existing
JBC. It could also have extensions to better support Ada-to-JBC
compilation. At worst it would be ignored. At best, it could become
widely used, a de-facto standard, and expose more people to Ada in
action. Reality, of course, confounds even prophets.

--
Jeff Carter
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time."