From:
Robin Reagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Reagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 09:08:44 -0600
At 06:55 AM 6/9/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Robin Reagan wrote:
>
> > With all the recent talk of an Ada "killer app" I was thinking... (I know
> > this would not be the popular "killer app" but maybe a micro "killer app"
> > for the RT community :).
>
>There is nothing wrong with doing killer apps, however, we need to set the
>ground work first and have all of our tools in place (plug and play so to
>speak).  We need to first determine which standards we will be supporting.
>After all the infrastructure is done then we can attack killer app projects.
>If we do it too soon it might discourage us.

I agree! if we focus on the killer app part we'll flounder. I only
mentioned it because it was the original subject (several days ago) that
got me thinking.

> > Ada shines in the real-time/embedded areas (among others) this is where its
> > roots are! How about an RTOS (written in Ada of course) designed for
> > embedded systems (The popular term is "appliance" I think). I'm sure this
> > has come up before... but why hasn't it been done (or has it?).
>
>Correct me if I am wrong, however, wouldn't RTEMS be an area of interest
>for you.  Granted it has parts written in "C", however, maybe we can upgrade
>it so to speak.

I'm not familiar with RTEMS beyond hearing about it in occasional
conversation on this list. Is it written in Ada? open source?

> > After having worked with vxWorks for the past several months, I can't help
>
>Mea Culpa! :-)  Just a little humor here.  I have had nothing but bad luck
>with
>
>VxWorks.

Considering the price of vxWorks (tools and support)... If we could get
even a sub-set of the supported hardware I think it would be well received.

> > but think that an open source (BSD license perhaps?) modern RTOS written in
>
> > Ada should do well if it can be shown to be very reliable, easy to
> > configure, and flexible.
>
>This is fine, however, which application market will you be targeting once you
>have this?

At first we would need to focus on the more popular targets (both hardware
and application) for real-time/embedded systems.

Eventually any real-time and/or embedded application from printers...flight
control systems/simulators...net appliances...cell phones.

>--
>Chris Sparks

Robin Reagan
[log in to unmask]       http://www.reagans.org/