Tucker Taft <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:46:06 -0400
rreagan wrote:
> > --
> Section 9.5.1[1] states:
>    "protected functions provide concurrent read-only access to the data." (in
> the P.O.)
>
> and
>
> Section 9.5.1[4] states:
>    "A new protected action is not started on a protected object while another
>    protected action on the same protected object is underway, unless both
>    actions are the result of a call on a protected function"
>
> so multiple tasks may be in the same (or multiple) protected function(s) from
> the
> same P.O. at the same time, correct?

Theoretically, yes.  I don't know of any implementations that actually
support this yet.  It was intended to support multiprocessing environments.
On a single processor, there is no real value in supporting concurrent
functions.  When multiprocessing, there is an obvious throughput advantage
to allowing protected functions to run in parallel on the same object.

--
-Tucker Taft   [log in to unmask]   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)