From:
Neil Yorke-Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Yorke-Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:33:32 -0700
[with apologies for multiple copies]

                     Call for Papers and Participation

                       AAAI 2007 Spring Symposium on

             INTERACTION CHALLENGES FOR INTELLIGENT ASSISTANTS

               26-28 March 2007, Stanford University, CA, USA

Motivation:

In an increasingly complex world, a new wave of intelligent artificial
assistants have the potential to simplify and amplify our everyday personal
and professional lives.  These assistants will help us in mundane tasks
from purchasing groceries to organizing meetings; in background tasks from
providing reminders to monitoring our health; and in complex, open-ended
tasks from writing a report to locating survivors in a collapsed building.
Some will offer tutelage or provide recommendations.  Whether robotic
embodiments or software processes, these assistive agents will help us
manage our time and budgets, knowledge and workflow as they assist us in
our homes, offices, cars, and public spaces.

To realize the vision of truly useful assistants, four broad requirements
must be met.  First, our assistants must be personalized: they must learn
and be advised about our preferences and adapt to our way of working.
Second, they must be capable of learning from us new methods to solve
existing or novel problems in their application domain, and to correct
their behaviour when mistakes are made.  Third, as a consequence, our
intelligent assistants must engender our trust over an extended period of
time, because their behaviour will materially affect our interests and
well-being (and even our own behaviour).  Fourth, they must become our
partners, able to engage in joint, collaborative problem solving and
decision making.

In all these capabilities, an essential aspect of the success of our
intelligent assistants is their interaction with us and with other humans
and agents in natural ways that are no more obtrusive than necessary.
Moreover, this interaction must be uniform and coherent over the various
functions of the assistant, and be sensitive to the user's available time
and cognitive focus, the interaction conditions and modalities, and
subjective factors such as the user's mood.

This symposium will bring together practitioners and researchers of
artificial intelligence, human-computer interaction, cognitive science,
robotics, assistive and agent technologies, and fields that address complex
socio-technical systems.  We hope to foster interactions among this highly
interdisciplinary set of participants by including presentations from
distinct perspectives and by allocating ample time for discussions.

Developing intelligent assistants is a challenge that demands collaboration
across disciplines.  Designing interaction with these assistants challenges
us at the level both of fundamental concepts in human-agent communication
and of applied research in system building.  Hence, from a
multi-disciplinary perspective, the symposium will identify the critical
issues raised by interaction with personal assistants, the specific
challenges faced, and the current state of the art.  The ultimate goal is
to progress towards the most useful paradigms, methodologies, and
implementations for human interaction with intelligent artificial
assistants.

Specific topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

- Collaborative Problem Solving: conversational case-based reasoning;
failure recovery; introspection; joint intentions and intention management;
knowledge capture; learning for the assistive agent; managing local
autonomy in collaborative activities; mixed-initiative interaction and
initiative sharing; negotiation and delegation; planning, and task and plan
recognition; proactive and opportunistic actions; user modelling over time;

- Interaction Principles and Modalities: dialogue management and discourse
grammars; human-computer collaboration principles for agent systems;
human-robot interaction; imitating human behaviour; modalities of
interaction; supporting users with impaired capabilities; verbal and
non-verbal interaction;

- Trust: advisability and adjustable autonomy; engendering trust and
influencing behaviour over extended operation; ethical, legal, and safety
issues for human assistants; explanation; personalization; psychological
factors; relational agents; robust and secure agents;

- Studies and Comparisons of Systems: agent interfaces and architectures;
case studies of deployed systems; characterization of domains amenable to
assistive agents; comparisons of systems and architectures; evaluation
methodologies, metrics, and measures; novel approaches and applications;
user studies.

Submission Information:

Potential participants are invited to submit either a full paper (up to
eight pages) addressing these and related questions, or a position paper
(up to two pages) outlining their relevant research activities and how they
would like to contribute to the symposium.

Submissions, in PDF format, should be sent no later than 6 October 2006 to
nysmith AT ai.sri.com (remove the spaces) using the subject line "SSS'07
Submission".  All submissions should conform to the AAAI style format.
Papers will be reviewed by at least two referees.

Important Dates:

Submission deadline                  6 October 2006
Notice of acceptance                 3 November 2006
Student travel grant applications    17 November 2006
Camera-ready deadline                26 January 2007
Registration deadline                9 February 2007
Final (open) registration deadline   2 March 2007
Spring Symposium Series              26-28 March 2007

Further Information:

Symposium website: http://www.ai.sri.com/~nysmith/organizing/sss07/
Spring Symposium Series: http://www.aaai.org/Symposia/Spring/sss07.php

Please email inquiries to the symposium chair at: nysmith AT ai.sri.com
(remove the spaces).

Organizing Committee:

Pauline Berry, SRI International
Timothy Bickmore, Northeastern University
Mihai Boicu, George Mason University
Justine Cassell, Northwestern University
Ed H. Chi, Palo Alto Research Center
Michael T. Cox, BBN Technologies
John Gersh, John Hopkins University
Jihie Kim, USC/Information Sciences Institute
Pragnesh Jay Modi, Drexel University
Donald J. Patterson, University of California at Irvine
Debra Schreckenghost, NASA Johnson Space Center/Metrica Inc.
Richard Simpson, University of Pittsburgh
Stephen F. Smith, Carnegie-Mellon University
Sashank Varma, Stanford
Neil Yorke-Smith, SRI International (chair)