Sender:
From:
preece jennifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 16:41:17 -0500
Six leaders in the field review past developments and
give us their opinions of the future.

Don't miss these talks.  They are some of the highlights
of CHI97.

(Tues 2:30 - 4:00pm)

Invited Speakers

Session Chair
Mary Beth Rosson
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University

Stuart Card
Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

Working in a Place That Isn't There:  The New HCI of Tasks,
Work, and Technology

A funny thing has been happening to Reality.  It seems to be
disappearing, gradually replaced by a growing virtuality.
Virtualization will have a large effect on the nature of future work
and HCI is central, since virtuality is by its nature
machine-mediated. I want to talk about the new sorts of work and
attempts to create interactive visual virtualities and understand how
they work.

Bill Buxton
UI Research, Alias | Wavefront Inc.
Silicon Graphics, Inc.

Out From Behind the Glass and the Outside-In Squeeze

Most user interface work takes the GUI as a given, and then tries to
understand how to best work within those constraints.  Relatively
little work is expended establishing or working from other starting
points.  We argue in favour of the field pushing harder in this
direction.  Through the use of examples and case studies, we
demonstrate that one way to accomplish this is to change the terminal
of the system, itself, and not just the look and feel that lies behind
the glass of the conventional CRT.  The moral of our story is that the
only good computer is an invisible computer.

(Weds 4:30-6pm)

Invited Speakers

Session Chair
Jenny Preece

Tora K. Bikson
The Rand Corporation

Unconnected: Implications of Networks and Gaps for the
Information Society

The well-publicized diffusion of information and communication
technologies--including the Internet, whose host machines are
multiplying at a rate of about 100% per year--may make it seem
as though, if we've not yet entered the information age, the US must
at least be making rapid and steady progress toward a fully
interconnected society.  But envisioning a strategy for getting from
here to there requires a realistic picture of the present.  How
connected are US citizens by means of today's technologies?  The talk
will review data concerning information technologies and user
populations and discuss implications of connections and gaps for the
information society.

Terry Winograd
Stanford University

The Design of Interaction

The design of human-computer interaction is moving away from a concern
with controlling the machine, towards a focus on the space of
interactions enabled by the virtuality that designers and users
jointly create. This will lead us to devise new methods that integrate
traditional usability considerations with the broader perspective of
traditional design disciplines.

(Thurs 2:30-4pm)

Invited Speakers

Session Chairs
Mary Beth Rosson
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Jenny Preece

Jeff Johnson
UI Wizards, Inc.

Universal Access to the Net:  Requirements and Social Impact

This talk will focus on: 1) where we are today with respect to achieving
universal access to the Internet, 2) what will be required from an HCI
standpoint to achieve universal access, and 3) what some of the social
consequences of achieving it may be in the first decades of the 21st
century.  Johnson will provide attendees with a list of recommended
readings on this important subject.

Tim O'Shea
The Open University

A Typology of Educational Interfaces

There has been a depressingly ironical contrast between the slow
evolution of 'innovative' styles of computer use in education and the
rapid evolution of interfaces for pedagogic software. Some important
educational interface design problems have now been almost entirely
finessed. I present an historical classification of approaches to
interface design organised with respect to the ways they can support
learners working both individually and in groups over extended periods
of time. This typology supports cautious optimism when considering the
educational potential of new styles of shared distributed learning
environments.